Friday, October 16, 2009

Method 7




This method explains another file-sharing concept, social bookmarking. Trying to understand these implications, I envisioned a smart kid researching and bookmarking topics while other students reap the benefits without lifting a pencil. Or so it seemed to me, at first. Growing up in the age of solo studying, I have to wrap my mind around the concept of group studying. We were scolded for sharing class notes or allowing others use our work; it was akin to cheating.

In the first article “Tags Help Make Libraries Del.icio.us” I wondered what library catalogers would think about patrons put their own tags on items. If they don’t use the Library of Congress or Dewey Decimal system does it become a free-wheeling place where random tags create chaos? Discussing this with my supervisor, I told her I couldn’t envision how our library would use this. She suggested a campus application with professor uploads bookmarks for his course. The bookmarks act like a bibliography. Then, this began to make sense. How would this work in my library? A staff group working on a project could have Delicious accounts and share resources.

As I understand it, social bookmarking is bookmarking made public. You create an account and begin bookmark your interests. You can find others from your own tags and then explore theirs. In turn, they can tap into your bookmarks. It expands outward at more common tags. I liked the alphabetic-order of tags on the right (something I wish Windows Explorer would do automatically with folders). You can see your tags in various ways: related, top 10, and bundles. I didn’t create a Delicious account now but might later.

I enjoying looking at the TSLAC’s Continuing Education and Consulting Staff’s bookmark page, and read some of the blog “Librarian in Black” with comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment