Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Method 10




There is a trolley-like bus that can transport you and your bags around the Honolulu airport and it’s called “Wiki-Wiki” which means “fast-fast.” In this learning method, wikis are open documents that can be changed, edited, and added to. Several years ago, I remember reading how someone in a past Presidential staff had his Wikipedia entry changed to show a rather slanderous charge. Uh oh! Having an online document change that fast-fast, open to anyone’s alterations, would be highly susceptible to such shenanigans.

Following the instructions, I added some content to both the “Favorite Blogs” as well as to “Favorite Books” page. Since I once produced a library newsletter, I wondered how to graphically separate each person’s comments. But, I made the mistake of adding an entry (which can be edited or deleted) and then making a comment (which looks like it is permanent)—Uh oh! So right now I’m not impressed with wikis! Probably with more experience, I would be more comfortable.

Just as I was writing up my notes on this method, an e-mail notified me one of those pages had been changed. It took me by surprise, but I guess it happens each time a new contribution is updated. If you added content to a popular page, you might get quite a lot of notifications.

As a library tool, it could help on collaborative efforts: a reference tool, coordination for a specific project, a page for feedback. I’m sure librarians could suggest more ways to use wikis as a great library tool. But, as a library bookkeeper, I won’t be putting any ledger documents up there. Exact numbers are not something you would want changed fast-fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment