Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Method # 4


This method was about RSS Feeds, which I didn’t know much about. When I created our library department blog last year, we couldn’t quite get a RSS Feed to work. Instead, the employees would all get an e-mail of the actual post. Hmm…if I were to do it today, I now know you have to put a feed button on the blog.

I’m a bit more confused since I’ve noticed there is a RSS Feeds button in our library e-mail provider (Outlook) that do not reflect any of the Google Reader feeds I added. Different programs, perhaps?

The concept of having RSS Feeds is an interesting idea. Instead of having to go out and visit favorite sites the Google Reader shows all updates. I like the feature that can show either the oldest or the newest post, which is handy.

But, I don’t know if I’d use it that much. The videos emphasized the convenience and time-saving element but I think the Reader itself is pretty ugly, presenting every post in boring white background. Since I have an art blog at home, I like to visit original sites, see the design of the blogger, use interactive features such as the Comments, find a particular post in the Archive, see interesting sidebars, and check out the blogger’s Blog List that often shows a thumbnail of another blogger’s newest painting or art work. So, Google Blogger might indeed save time but for the visually-inclined, it is a dull screen show.

Here are three I tested in Google Reader:
http://www.unshelved.com/
http://www.ibiblio.org/secretlibrary/slwu/
http://myhandboundbooks.blogspot.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment